Skip to Navigation

Applying for a Visa in Malta

Whether you need a visa to learn English in Malta depends on your nationality and the length of your stay.

Should these students want to stay longer than 90 days, they must contact the Department of Citizenship and Expatriate Affairs to apply for a long stay permit for a period of up to one year, or for the remaining duration of their course.

Some Third Country National Students can visit Malta without applying for a visa. These students can study in Malta for a period of less than 3 months (90 days) from the date of arrival. If these students are following a course which is longer than 3 months, these students will need to apply for a Temporary Residence Permit before the 90 days are over to cover his period of studies in Malta.

Students who require a Visa in order to enter the country must apply for one of the following:

a) a long term/national visa (Schengen Type D) from Malta's diplomatic missions or consular posts which will cover the full duration of stay. Students on a type D visa cannot extend their stay once in Malta.


b) a short-stay visa (Schengen Type C) when applying at representations, where Malta has no consular post. Students on a type C Visa staying for a period longer than the maximum 90 days must then apply for a Temporary Residence Permit once in Malta in order to continue their studies.

All embassies will ask you to provide some documents when applying for a visa. Below is a list of what is generally asked for but please note that this may vary from embassy to embassy:

  • Passport
  • Copy of the main page of the passport
  • One passport-size photograph
  • Application form
  • Invitation letter in original (no email, no fax) mentioning personal and passport details of the applicant/s, duration of the stay, duration of the course, cost and whether the fee of the course has been paid or not
  • Confirmation of payment of the course
  • Confirmation of the place where the applicant will stay (hotel, family, friends,...)
  • Flight reservation from your country to Malta
  • Declaration from the school
  • Medical insurance
  • Financial guaranty (minimum 28 Euro per day of stay)
  • Certificate of personal address in your country
  • Family information
  • Visa fee: 82USD up to 90 days, 102 USD more than 90 days (approximate)

All documents required from EC will be sent to you only when we have received full payment. If the visa is then refused and you let us know in writing at least one week before your arrival date we will refund the full sum of money (excluding any bank charges).

If the visa is refused and you inform us less than 1 week before your arrival date, a cancellation fee of 1 week accommodation and tuition will apply. Since some embassies require the original documents (not faxed or emailed) we will courier (DHL) the original documents to you. The price for this is of 88 euros – this fee should be included in the original payment of course and accommodation booked.

Documentation required when applying for a Temporary Residence Permit in Malta:Students who are staying for a period longer than 3 months and need to apply for a Temporary Residence Permit.

How to Apply for a Temporary Residence Permit
Here's how students can apply for a permit: 

  • Student are asked to come to the reception during their 1st week to start the application process.
  • The School arranges an appointment for the students which is held at the FELTOM office, in Ta'Xbiex on Friday's between 08:30hrs- 10:30hrs.
  • The School checks that students have ALL documentation required in order
  • Students will be able to collect their "Blue Receipt" from FELTOM Office a week later from 11:00- 12:00hrs
  • Students will be informed directly by post, on the address used for application, when the permit is ready to be collected. This may take up to more than 8 weeks to be processed, so it’s important that initial appointment is requested as early as possible. NO exceptions will be made for students that have made travel arrangements and have left it to the last minute to apply for a permit. The blue receipt is not a valid travel document
  • Please note that ONLY STUDENTS are handled through FELTOM Office, any accompanying family members or school employees, should go directly to Valetta

Required Documents:

1. School’s letter of acceptance, this must include:

  • Invoice Number: Proof of fully paid course and accommodation.
  • Accommodation details: Clearly specifying type of accommodation; should the student book his/her own accommodation, copy of official lease agreement must be provided.
  • Number of tuition hours per week.
  • Duration of the course.
  • Stamped and signed by the head of school or designate

Please note that this is a legal declaration and schools are therefore held accountable for the information provided.

2. Bank Statement:

  • Statement currency should be in Euro or a print out of conversion.
  • Students should have enough money to cover their whole stay, that is 25EURO daily if their accommodation is already paid for or 48EURO daily if accommodation is not yet paid for.
  • Bank statement should be in English and it should clearly state that the student is the owner of the account or a declaration (in English) from owner that student will have access to these funds together with a photocopy of the passport or other form of identification that shows the relationship between the students and the person that will be funding the student. Should the student be financed through a sponsorship: the bank statement needs to clearly show the total funds transferred onto the student. In this case the bank statement needs to be signed and stamped by the bank.

3. Insurance:

  • As per above, Health insurance policy must cover the student’s entire stay in the Schengen Zone (including traveling dates) and should cover in-patient and day care hospital expenses.

4. Original and Copy of Passport:

  • Photocopy of all pages are required (blank pages included).
  • Students should hold a valid passport.
  • In the case of a Tourism Purpose visa, students must provide proof that their intention before coming to Malta was to study. This must be in the form of correspondence with the school (in English).

5. Forms: Form N - Study and Form 1D - 1A (Forms are available from school.)


  • Government Fee: 27.50Euro (Paid directly to FELTOM)
  • Administration Fee: 6.00Euro (Paid directly to FELTOM)

Students that do not turn up for the appointment will still be charged the €6 admin fee. This is collected by the school and passed on to FELTOM.

Travelling Abroad on a Temporary Residence Permit
If students on a Temporary Residence Permit wish to travel they must do so DURING their course. Their stay in Europe must end with an English Language Course at EC. It is otherwise illegal for them to end their travel on holiday. If they are caught by immigration police in breach of their Residence Permit they will be arrested & banned from Schengen for at least 5 years.