Volunteering is an incredible way to develop and grow as a person, while at the same time contributing in meaningful, lasting ways to various communities and the broader environment. Anyone can volunteer, and as long as you follow your passion by doing what excites and motivates you, you will be able to find a cause or project that suits you and where you will be able to do the most good.
What can you expect on this course?
With the Volunteering programme, students will gain:
Besides the clear benefits an extra pair of willing hands contribute to every project, there is a wealth of direct personal benefits also to be gained by being part of a volunteering experience:
- Volunteering connects you to others
- Volunteering is good for your mind and body
- Volunteering can advance your career
- Volunteering brings fun and fulfilment to your life
Another major benefit of participating in EC Cape Town’s Volunteer Programme is that your English will improve while you are living and volunteering in South Africa. Of course, this will happen naturally as you work at the volunteer project, but you are also able to combine your volunteering experience with an English language course.
There are two broad categories of volunteering opportunities: Animal-based and Community-based.
Animal-based projects generally include the rehabilitation, care and upkeep of wild or domestic animals. This includes big-game animals like elephants, cheetahs or lions, various species of antelope, birds of prey and marine creatures (e.g. sharks, whales and seals). Other animal projects might include working with penguins, or rescued dogs and cats. Kindly click on chosen option for more details and fees:
- African Elephant Encounter 2023
- African Elephant Encounter 2024
- African Marine Encounter
- African Wildlife Encounter
- Coastal Birds Encounter
- Wildlife research & conservation
- Domestic animal shelter
- Marine Dynamics Academy
- Conservation and Community
Community-based projects comprise working with younger children from previously disadvantaged communities in South Africa, either at a school or creche. This involves helping children with their education and promoting their well-being. Some projects also work with the broader area around these places of education, so there is also the opportunity to interact with the adults in those communities. Kindly click on chosen option for more details:
- Hout Bay Kids
- J-Bay Kids
- Surfing project
- Conservation and Community 2023
- Conservation and Community 2024
- Hout Bay Football
EC Cape Town partners directly with several organisations in South Africa. Some of these are based in Cape Town, while others are based elsewhere in South Africa.
Download application form.
Intermediate (B1 or B2)
- €400 non-refundable deposit will be collected immediately upon booking
We recommend that you enrol for a short English course (around 2 weeks, or longer) with EC Cape Town before you begin volunteering
This course is suitable for students who
- 18+ years old
- Already have at least an intermediate level of English or higher
- Want to be actively engaged in volunteering with animals or disadvantaged communities
- Have at least two weeks (or longer) available to spend at a project, full time
- Want to have a meaningful stay in South Africa by contributing to the lives and wellbeing of others, while also improving their English