Living and learning English abroad is an extraordinary experience. With this programme, you will achieve fluency, challenge yourself and develop long-term friendships with people from all around the world.
What can you expect on this course?
Upon joining the Academic Year programme, you will:
- Log in to MyEC to get all the support you need to start your learning journey.
- Sit a placement test to determine your current level of English.
- Set your learning goals with guidance on MyEC.
- Arrive in the school and meet your teachers and classmates.
- Join a class with others at the same level.
- Embark on a first class English Language course to develop your ability to communicate clearly and effectively in English.
- Be provided with excellent guidance, monitoring and feedback throughout your course.
- Receive continual assessment through class tutorials, homework and regular progress assessment.
- Receive additional support if you need it.
- Have confidence that your learning is on track and you are working towards your learning goals.
Think about making the most of your time with us by taking an international exam that will certify your level and open doors in education and in work.
- Cambridge – Recognised by employers, universities and colleges all over the world IELTS – Required by many universities and colleges worldwide
- TOEFL – Recognised by more than 8,000 academic and professional institutions
- TOEIC – Used by over 10,000 companies and institutions in 120 countries
TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language)
Taken by over 25 million English language learners, the TOEFL test is the most widely respected English-language test in the world. It measures your ability to use English at university level and is recognised by over 8,000 institutions in more than 130 countries, including the majority of North American universities.
Tailor Your Learning
Academic Year 24 / 30 students are also able to choose from a selection of special focus classes. EC’s Special Focus Classes employ EC’s communicative approach with a twist, just like our general English lessons, but they give students the opportunity to focus on a particular area of need. This focus could be grammar or vocabulary, Exam skills, English for work, or speaking with confidence. Whatever the focus, communicating effectively will be at the forefront of the lessons.
While the classes on offer will vary depending on the needs and requests of the students in each destination, common options are:
- English for Work
- Expand your Vocabulary
- Exam skills
- Speaking with confidence
- Grammar for Real Communication
See More of the World
With the EC Multi-Destination Course you can study in multiple EC destinations, with no disruption to your curriculum. We will transfer your records from school to school so there is no break in your learning, giving you the same great language learning experience with optimum travelling potential.
Course books and materials
Explore a sample of our course materials here! Including workbooks, teacher’s notes and more.
IELTS Academic (International English Language Testing System)
An IELTS qualification is required by most British, Canadian, Maltese and South African universities, and in some cases, American academic institutions. IELTS is often required by professional bodies and is even needed for immigration to Canada.
Cambridge ESOL Exams (FCE, CAE, CPE)
FCE (First Certificate in English)
An exam of upper intermediate level English – suitable for you if you can confidently deal with a wide range of spoken and written English.
CAE (Certificate in Advanced English)
An exam for advanced users of English. This exam is aimed at people who can use written and spoken English for most professional and academic purposes. It is widely recognised for work or study purposes.
CPE (Certificate of Proficiency in English)
Cambridge ESOL’s most advanced exam is aimed at students who have a high level of English and are able to function effectively in almost every English speaking context.
Tutorials and support
You will receive all the support you need to make sure you fulfil your language learning goals.
As well as weekly assessments from your teacher which are reviewed in Friday Feedback every four weeks you will take a progress assessment. This assessment is designed to provide you with the information you need to make decisions on areas to focus your learning on.
During the Friday Feedback class following this assessment your teacher will review your results with you and make suggestions for further study and practice. If you are not progressing on track, your teacher will give you a learning plan to help you get your learning back on track.
Your progress is guaranteed as long as you meet EC’s minimum requirements.
As well as all the tuition, personal guidance and support our Academic Year students receive, EC also provides:
- MyEC – with a extensive range of self-study activities
- A variety of Free lessons – from Breakfast clubs to pronunciation clinics
- A full calendar of social and leisure activities.
Minimum 24 weeks.
Course start dates
Lessons per week
20 lessons per week (not available in the USA)
24 lessons per week (available in the USA and Canada)
30 lessons per week (available in all schools)
1 lesson = 45 minutes
Maximum in Class
Malta: max 12 in class
Cape Town, Manchester, Brighton, Boston, New York, San Francisco, Los Angeles, San Diego, Toronto, Montreal, Vancouver: max 15 in class.
Bristol, Cambridge, London: max 14 in class
This course is suitable for students who
- want to achieve fluency, accuracy and an active understanding of English across the
- want to move into an Exam Class after reaching the required level
- want to sharpen their critical and
- wish to gain experience living and learning in an English speaking country