Applying for a Visa in Malta

Whether you need a visa to learn English in Malta depends on your nationality and the length of your stay. To find out if you require a visa and to apply, you should contact the Maltese Embassy or Consulate in your country for advice. The advice on this factsheet is subject to change so it is always recommended that you contact the Embassy for any recent updates. It is the responsibility of the student to ensure that the most updated regulations are being followed. Although EC endeavours to support students with general visa advice, EC cannot be held responsible for any changes to the information provided below. Click here to see if you require a visa to travel to Malta.


Students who require a Visa to enter Malta must apply for one of the following:

A) a long-term/national visa (Schengen Type D) from Malta's diplomatic missions or consular posts which will cover the full duration of stay. These visas allow the holder to stay in the territory of Malta for periods longer than three months (90 days). Students on a Type D visa cannot extend their stay once in Malta.


B) a short-stay visa (Schengen Type C) when applying at representations, where Malta has no consular post. Students on a Type C Visa staying for a period longer than the maximum 90 days must apply for a study visa once in Malta to continue their studies.