Skip to Navigation

Free Career Workshop in Australia

Studying at EC is not just about learning English. You can also acquire valuable experience for your future. We offer free workshops in all our schools and some of these focus on career prospects. For advice on CVs and interviews, come to the free lessons held in your school or speak to a member of the academic team.

What can you expect on this course?

Information about finding work in Australia

Who is allowed to work?
If you are a student visa holder, you are permitted to work a maximum of 40 hours per fortnight. If you are holding a Working Holiday Visa, you can work and study for up to one year.
You must apply for a Tax File number before applying for a job.  
The Fair Work Ombudsman (FWO) has tailored information on its website for visa holders, including international students. It covers basic workplace relations information, common issues faced by students, such as unpaid work and information about visa protections.   

Where are jobs advertised?

  • Local papers often carry adverts for jobs in the ‘classified ads'.
  • Many cafes or bars advertise job vacancies with a sign in the window.
  • Online sites: To find online job-seeking sites, ask at reception or see below.

Online job-seeking sites:

What is a Tax File Number?
If you’re working in Australia, you might need to pay tax depending on how much you earn. Get a Tax File Number (TFN) before starting work. Give your TFN to your boss to make sure you do not pay more tax than you should. Only apply for a TFN once – it is yours for life!